Requirements of the Artist, Writer or Composer/Songwriter:
Applicants must be pursuing their art, writing, or composing as a professional career. Applicants are considered on the basis of their submitted work, interest in the program, and proposed community engagement.
The next open call for all disciplines (artists, writers, and composer/songwriters) will start on November 11, 2022, and close on January 11, 2023 at 11:59pm EST for available residency time slots in 2023 and early 2024.
Your application must include:
- Statement of intent: tell us about your art, what inspires you, and what you plan to work on during the residency if selected.
- Brief summary of a proposed community engagement event or educational workshop to be offered during your residency in collaboration with a local partner. The applicant should indicate in their application if there is a specific partner they would like to work with; otherwise, based on the description of the proposed community event, the Good Hart Artist Residency will try to find a local non-profit partner that aligns. Once a candidate is selected they will work with the Good Hart Artist Residency and a nonprofit partner to plan and coordinate their community event. Note: Some time slots are reserved for specific partnerships. Please review our partner's page for further information.
- Contact information for two references (no letters required)
- Application fee of $25. (If experiencing financial hardship, please contact us regarding an application fee waiver).
- Visual artists shall submit images of 6-9 examples of artwork. Images should include the title, medium, and creation date for each work submitted. It is recommended that recent work be submitted.
- Writers shall submit three to five pages from a current work in progress and an excerpt of no more than five pages of a completed work. Samples of previously published work must include a link to the published work or information for accessing the published work. Projects may be in poetry, short stories, novels, essays, plays, screenplays, and/or creative nonfiction. Writing submissions must be in English, and easily accessible without fee by the jurors.
- Composers shall submit three digital music samples, which may include links to online content and/or live performance videos.
Note: Collaborating artists must each submit an application. Collaborating artists who are awarded a residency are provided with shared housing and studio space.